Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Happy birthday Joycie

If she were still alive, my sister would be 78 today. She passed away three years ago after a difficult life, topped off with a short, painful end. Joyce was my half sister and I didn't even know I had a sister until I was about 12. I was thrilled when I learned that I wasn't an "only" child.

Her upbringing and mine couldn't have been more different and that was the genesis of her tough life. Needless to say, our relationship once I was an adult (while we were dealing with our mother's decline) was rocky as well.

Anyway, I really miss her and wish often that I could pick up the phone and listen to her laugh. She was a great sister.

Joyce, me and our cousin Molly

at Erin and Mike's wedding
Goofing around
Joyce hated having her picture taken so it is miraculous and unusual that she sat still without making funny faces on three different occasions.

No comments: