Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Horoscopes and rubber mulch

I am not in the slightest a horoscope or astrologically-inclined person. I'm 99% sure that it's all a bunch of hooey but I do always check it on my birthday, just to see where the stars say I'm headed in the next year. Here's what Holiday Mathis' horoscopes in our local paper had to say about my special day, my comments are in blue:

"You have a clear vision of who you want to be, and this ye
ar you make the changes necessary to become that person. [That's the plan, Stan] The process that works best for you is loving, creative and gentle. [Well sure, when the 2x4 isn't effective...] A lively relationship keeps you guessing through October. [Whoo hooo! Bring it on!] Family makes you proud in December. [Our family always makes me proud] Finances improve in May. [Not until then? Gee, that's kinda harsh] Aquarius and Sagittarius people adore you." [That seems extreme and I don't really know any Aquarius and Sagittarius people that well]

But I'll take it! I especially like the first part and am definitely committed to doing a better job in my weight improvement department.

We spent half the day yesterday and another thr
ee hours this morning putting down rubber mulch. The weeds in our front landscaping really got the upper hand this summer, what with all the rain we've had and my lackadaisical halfhearted attempts at weeding. I spent about seven hours last week on my hands and knees pulling weeds (four wheelbarrow loads full) and was quite resolved that it was the absolutely last time I would do that. Mama didn't raise any fools. So we (rather Johnnie, on seeing how dead set I was on putting in rubber mulch regardless of the expense) set about purchasing 105 bags of rubber mulch and yesterday we commenced putting it down.

The mulch was actually fairly easy to work with a
nd we had perfect weather. The temps never got above 67 degrees yesterday. Despite all that, I worked myself into a mild case of heat exhaustion, barfing over the landscaping timbers into the ravine and then all but collapsing after taking a shower.

However, the landscaping looks awesome and ***the very best part*** we should never have to mulch in those areas again. We ended up using 111 bags of rubber mulch (1.15 cubic feet per bag, roughly 30 pounds a bag) and I believe it will be so worth it.

Next year we'll do the side garden but getting the front done is huge and looks great.





The little white parts at the edge of the third picture are the edges of the newspapers that we spread beneath the mulch to help discourage any foolish weeds that might try to get through the mulch. That'll teach 'em.


2 comments:

Expat No. 3699 said...

Wow, that's a lot of mulch! It is nice that you won't have to do that area again though.

Courtney said...

Nice mulch!!

And just in case you were wondering...I'm a Sagittarius!