Monday, November 15, 2010

I saw one today ...

With every holiday season comes a new fad gift. Remember the flapping bass on the plaque that sang? Or even Pet Rocks? Chia Pets (although I have fallen prey to this one -- a Shrek head as a gift for Holly)? Mostly these are great gift ideas for those (lame) folks who can't think of anything personal to buy for someone that they have to buy something for. Sisters-in-law kinda fall into this category.

Last year, Johnnie's two brothers and their wives were with us for Christmas and I lived in silent, quaking fear that I would receive one of these from my fad-following sister-in-law.
 I know it's crazy, but I absolutely positively never, never want a Snuggie. I can find plenty of ways to stay warm just fine, thankyouverymuch, without wearing a blanket with arms. So I held my breath as we worked our way through gifts last Christmas, hoping against hope that I wouldn't have to strap on a sincere smile and summon a heartfelt Thank You for a Snuggie.

Somewhat like boiled wool sweaters or jackets, I don't understand Snuggies. I get well and thoroughly tangled up in just a lap blanket - can you imagine how spectacularly I could trip myself and go prat falling through the house if I was wearing a blanket backwards?  Snuggies just hit a raw nerve with me and seem like a gigantic waste of fabric, sewing and money.

I was lucky last year: instead  of the dreaded Snuggie I thought I might get, I received a head massager, like this one:
Yes, I can almost hear your excitement for me. It was a nice gift and quasi-thoughtful. The best part is that it's small and once the gift giving season is passed, it can be tossed into the garage sale pile or donation bag of without fuss or concern about needing to keep it around until the giver sees the givee wearing/using it at least once.

Getting a Snuggie would be more problematic as it is wearable and I would feel some responsibility to give it a try. The ones from the official MySnuggieStore.com site all appear to be made of fleece. The one I saw this morning at BJs Wholesale Club was made of fake fur or crushed velvet or something. Yet another variation on a nightmare, according to me.

By the way, does the guy in this couple below look:
(a) like Barack Obama
(b) completely emasculated in that thing or what?


 And, dear Lord, they are now selling Snuggies for pets. Maybe a Chihuahua might need something like this in the frozen North, but I'm pretty sure that this Lab would just as soon be sporting his own skin all by itself.
Anyway, if you have a gift giving occasion coming up in which I am involved, please take this as an open letter to save your money or donate to the Salvation Army or something.

I don't want to be rude but truly I.do.not.want.a.Snuggie. 

1 comment:

Expat No. 3699 said...

I agree with you on the Snuggies...and I can't imagine having a hot flash while in one of those!