Monday, May 9, 2011

My mom

Lately I've been feeling chronically a day late and a dollar short. I usually send birthday cards and holiday cards to everyone and my promptness has fallen off precipitously in the past couple months. Part of it is I'm just busier than usual and part of it is an overwhelming feeling of apathy. I'm going to call the doctor today about the apathy and see what might be its origin. But I completely digress. Except to say that this is a Mother's Day post -- a day late. Dunno about the dollar short part although money is always tight, right?

My mom passed away in January 2001 at 87. Her last 10 years or so were spent in a nursing home, completely skewing the odds of that occurring. Truthfully, she was not a really nice person when she was younger and we had many, many moments of discord between us over the years. I loved her but she was a tough person to love at times.

She mellowed considerably as her body failed, starting with an aneurysm that she survived, over the last 10 years of her life. Yet there would be moments of the "old Nana" when the feisty Nana would appear in her eyes. I used to look forward to those moments, even if they just reminded me of what a witch she could be.

Anyway, I was thinking about her a lot over the weekend with Mother's Day on the horizon. I even changed my Facebook picture to one with my mom for a few days in honor of her.

I pulled a few pictures from Johnnie's computer of my mom and I wanted to post them here just to commemorate her. She looks kindly in these pictures but don't you believe it for one second.







No comments: