Friday, January 9, 2009

What bucket list?

Truthfully, I've never really created a bucket list but I think it's a great idea. When I actually focus on it, I can't think of much to put on my own list that isn't trite or silly. However, as I mentioned in yesterday's post, seeing an operation (animal or human) would definitely be on the list.

I asked when I took Juni to the vet yesterday morning and I was allowed to watch our puppy's spaying operation. How extremely cool is that?? I know most people would be heading for the nearest trash can or door but I was mesmerized. The vet came out and asked me a bunch of questions including "can you watch this being done on your own dog without fainting or barfing?" I had thought about that quite a lot and didn't think I'd have a problem.

I'm all about biology and medical science. After a scooter accident in Bermuda, I was thrilled when the emergency room doctor showed me my cruciate ligaments in my torn up left knee before he scrubbed out the pebbles and sewed me up. That was the very best part of the entire trip.

So I got to watch little Juni get her anesthesia, intubation, shaved and set up for an IV. I was given a gown, cap and mask and then the operation started. The vet and the technician assisting were fantastic, explaining things to me as we went along. It was so cool. While the incision was open, the doctor pointed out Juni's spleen, her bladder, small intestines and explained how the dog's reproductive anatomy is organized. She pulled a small section of small intestines out so I could see them. It was beautiful ~ all this transparent pinkish tissue with delicate, tiny blood vessels crisscrossing everywhere.

After Juni was sewn up and being tended by the veterinary techs, the doctor said I could put a pair of gloves on and we looked at the ovaries and uterus together in more depth. She exposed the ovary ~ about the size of a peanut ~ and laid out the whole system.

I was supposed to meet our friend Bridget to walk at the mall after dropping Juni off and ended up calling her to beg off when the doctor said I could watch the operation. Sorry Bridget!

I had to pee when I got to the vet at 7:50 yesterday morning and never thought about it again until I left there at 10am. That's how excited and completely immersed in the experience I was. I called Johnnie just before the operation and left a message. He said later that he could hear the excitement in my voice. I sort of floated through the rest of the day.

It was an awesome experience. And the best part is that the vet has invited me back to observe other operations if I want to. How amazing is that!? I am so excited.

2 comments:

Liz said...

Hi Cheryl, I am a friend of Erins. Well I was an OR nurse and operations are the coolest thing ever! How exciting that you got to see one! And good for you for asking =)

A. Nonny Mouse said...

The delayed peeing thing used to happen to me all the time when I was working at the vet clinic in Plattsburgh. I'd get so sucked into all the stuff that was going on, I forgot that I had to pee.

Then I'd get home and be about 3 seconds into my "You wouldn't believe what happened to me tonight" spiel and have to stop to go potty.